Tuesday, December 22, 2009

More seeds and blogs

Wow, something must be wrong with me, I'm posting another entry less then a week since my last. Maybe I'm getting the hang of this blog stuff.

As my title suggests, I placed another order for seeds from Baker Creek. Since I'm determined to learn seed saving and starting, I choose to deal with heirloom companies only, Baker fits the bill. This order consisted of:
Tall Telephone garden peas
Crookneck Early Golden summer squash
Zucchino Rampicante squash ----- THE FLAT, BEST zucchini I have ever eaten!!!!!!!!!
Blue Hubbard squash
Butternut Waltham squash
Vegetable Spaghetti squash

I only have a few more seed varities to order for 2010, so I'm in good shape there. I also have found a seed potato supplier I am anxious to try: The Maine Potato Lady https://www.mainepotatolady.com/productcart/pc/home.asp . They look to have a gardening philosophy close to my own, I like to support companies that stay away from GMO seeds and bad farming practices (more on that subject in a future post).

My final thought for this post is regarding another blog project I have started that may be more important to me then this one. It is Simple Faith and can be found at: http://simplepilgrim.wordpress.com/ . I have felt a burden to move back to a simpler faith and simpler lifestyle. This blog is my record at documenting how my walk is changing. Take a look if you're interested and let me know your thoughts.

3 comments:

  1. Great blog !

    I too am an organic gardener from Ohio.
    I'm in North East Ohio - in Hubbard which is halfway between Cleveland, Ohio and Pittsburgh, Pa.

    I have enjoyed reading about some of your and your wife's hard work.

    Keep at it and you will get there !

    Organically Yours,
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I caught up reading your blog for 2009. Congratulations on your wife coming home! I remember your goal of trying to raise 50% of your food yourselves this year...hows it going? Did you weigh your produce? It looks like you all are doing great. Inspiring to me.
    Cena in California

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey guys,
    Thanks for the encouragement. It is a long proces to convert our grass to useful space, however, it's definitely worth the effort.

    I started out weighing our produce, but got a bit lazy in the middle of the season. I plan to be more consistent in that endeavor this year.
    Todd

    ReplyDelete