Friday, January 15, 2010

Resolutions

It may be a touch late to talk about New Year's resolutions, but since my blog is always a bit behind schedule, this post is right on time (if that makes any sense).

This year I have decided to set a bunch of mini-resolutions under the broad resolution of "Learning". I have resolved to try a learn a new skill, as it relates to my microfarm, maintenance, etc... For instance, first on the list is/was seed starting. I started last fall saving seeds and that's been pretty rewarding, however, I need to learn to start seeds indoors to completely benefit from the endeavor. That skill will also pay big dividends in May 2011 when I don't have to buy plants at my local nursery.

Other skills I would like to learn/improve include pruning, rasing roses, some basic carpentry skills, dehydration as a storage method, raising chickens, raising goats,etc... The more skills I can master, the more self-sufficient I become which is the ultimate goal.

I encourage everyone to think along these lines. A lot of the skills our grandparents took for granted are fading away, hopefully our generation won't be the ones to let them completely be forgotten.

3 comments:

  1. Last year was my first year to start seeds indoors and it was a successful venture. My best seed-starting secret...I started the hot-weather plants (tomatoes, peppers, eggplants,etc) on top of the ductwork near the furnace. It was just enough heat to warm the soil and sprout the seeds quickly! Better than spending $50+ on a 'warming pad' from the seed catalogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great suggestion. I have attempted them in the past, however, I always have problems with the plants getting leggy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When your tomato plants get leggy, just mound up the soil or transplant into a deeper container. Wherever soil touches the stem, it sends out roots...you'll end up with stronger plants in the long run. I planted tomatoes with stems 12 inches long and they did great!

    ReplyDelete