Friday, February 18, 2011

Springs coming!

It's 60 degrees outside, I just placed my seed orders and figured I might as well update my poor, long neglected blog. My efforts last season were less then spectacular. Due to major renovations to our homestead, we let the garden slip into a poor state. This season will be different.

Some of the projects completed last year included; fencing in the our
newest, garden area,










adding a new grape trellis section on the east side of the house,










and enough rain collectors to gather and store 430 gallons of rain water.











I also sold my dependable Troybilt tiller and will be ordering a broadfork from Gulland Forge. The decision to move to a broadfrok vs. the tiller was surprisingly easy for me. After doing some research into older farming methods and coming to understand what damage a tiller can do to the soil, especially to the beneficial micro-organisms that live in it, it was a no-brainer.

We are definitely scaling back the large projects this season to focus on the garden and yields. Our pantry was slim this year because of our drop in production.


No comments:

Post a Comment