Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Gulland Broadfork

I had been debating for a long time the prospect of gettng rid of my tiller and getting a broadfork.  After taking a horticulture class at the Ohio State Extension last fall, I settled the matter in my head and decided this tool was the correct path for my micro-farm.

In that class we talked about the damage a tiller can do to the soil and more importantly to the micro-organisms in that soil that are necessary for a strong garden.  Tillers can literally destroy the diversity that exists in soil making it essentially infertile.  The other drawback to a tiller is the hardpan that is created in the garden bed at just below the max tiller depth.  That constant, revolving motion by the tines creates a compacted sub-soil layer that cannot be penetrated by plant roots.  In mordern agriculture, special equipment is needed to break up this hard pan, in the garden it can be a dramatic setback.

A broadfork is a tool that when used in a garden does very little soil damage, adds aeration, loosens the dirt for maximum root growth, and most importantly does not create a hard pan. It is an old tool dating back several centuries. 

I have been studying older methods of growing and this tool will be the centerpiece of my new, old revival.  The fork I chose was hand made at Gulland Forge (I've linked to Larry's site above) and I received it last week.
I cannot wait to get started in the garden with this wonderful tool.  First up is the new pumpkin patch, if the ground would ever dry out.

No comments:

Post a Comment