Sunday, March 6, 2011

Gathering the supplies

This year we are trying something new by building 2 complete, seperate squash patches.  I am typically a raised bed gardener, constructing tons of 4 x 8 raised beds in every available spot.  The problem with squash is that the vines run all over everything making it difficult to effectively work other beds.

We have planned to take one complete section of garden that normally houses 13 beds, side to side, and turn it into a traditional row garden where we esclusively plant pumpkins.  This older area is seperate from the new main garden by a fence and grape vines.  I intend to broadfork the area level, run biodegradable mulch the entire length and then plant the pumpkins in line.  I am also purchasing enough floating row cover for the entire length.

That is the plan for pumpkins (we love to can pumpkin pickles and pie mix), however, I intend to build a new section near the garage for butternut, and vegetable spaghetti.  My intention is to go vertical at this space, running the vines up a slanted chicken wire frame.  This will keep the vines off the ground, shorten the space need for the crop, and utilize a spot that has been barren since we purchased the place.

This new treatment of vine crops should allow for a greater yield in the main garden, as we can work the beds much more easily.

I have been diligently gathering supplies for these new projects plus I have a few more plans that will need various items.  I want to keep this year's garden out of the budget as much as possible.  I have been selling a ton of my library on eBay to fund most of the purchases.  I am a big history buff with a respectable Civil War library that I have decided to sell.  So far, I have made every purchase on my supply list with eBay funds.  This is allowing me to keep some big projects on the books.  These projects include: drainage, stone walk-ways, a new, large herb garden, work on the kitchen garden, and more.

2 comments:

  1. We'll be adding some raised beds this year too...to replace some old ones I built a few years ago.

    I'm curious about the vertical squash gardening. It's something I've given thought to but never actually persued. This year, to increase growing space, I think I may do some guerilla gardening in the field behind us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got the idea while reading an unrelated article about a garden and there was a photo in the background showing pumpkins grown vertically. It got me thinking cause I needed a good place for vegetable spaghetti squash.

    ReplyDelete