Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Product report - Fisher Blacksmithing


To say that I am a fan of Tuli Fisher and his line of garden tools is an understatement. In my mind there is something awesome about using a hand forged tool, it's like reconnecting with the past.

In this day and age of throw-away junk, made in China that barely lasts a season, having something that you know will be passed down to your children and grandchildren, really brings time and generations together.

In my tool shed, I have many antique tools that still see lots of use. I have forks made over a century ago that still eagerly work StonePath as they were meant to when they were new. They were forged in an era that valued permanence, that prized toughness, and welcomed challenge.

Fisher Blacksmithing of Bozeman, Montana represents that same ethic in tool making. Mr. Fisher calls his tools "heirloom quality" because he makes them to last, forging them as tools were made in days gone by.

It is, however, one thing to make a tool by old means but Tuli Fisher brings another seemingly lost quality to his business, he stands behind his product with integrity.

My absolute favorite tool of his is the square hoe. That hoe is constantly by my side in the garden tackling a list of tasks. This past weekend I broke my square hoe. I was devastated.

I contacted Tuli and gave him pictures of the broken tool. He quickly deduced a  rivet hole may have been drilled a touch off center leaving an area thin and causing the break. He never made excuses, and quickly asked my shipping info so that he could get a replacement out immediately.

That type of business ethic added to a wonderful tool makes me a fan for life. I highly recommend these tools and give a call to Mr. Fisher, he's a gentleman worth getting to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment