Tuesday, February 22, 2011

A peak at the end

After the nutso weather of the past two days, I finally received something that gives my frozen body hope.  My first batch of spring seeds arrived today!!  Baker Creek Heirloom seeds does not waste anytime in getting an order out.  I placed this order just this past Thursday.  Now if I can get Stokes to deliver as quickly.

It's hard to believe (especially looking at the snow this morning) that in a couple weeks we'll be starting our tomatoe and ground cherry seeds.  We had real success last year in starting seeds indoor, especially as they were seeds we saved.  Just added a portable, outdoor, mini-greenhouse that was given to us by my buddy so this year our seed trials should even be better.

I mentioned ground cherries, they were a new experiment in the garden and a pleasant one at that!  We ended up planting about 15 bushes and were soon engulfed in the fruit.  Each bush must have produced 300 ground cherries!  The fruit is in the tomatillo family and produces it fruit in a husk.  When they fall from the bush they are ready to harvest.  The flavor is like pineapples when fresh, and more apricot when made into jam.  The other thing about this fruit is how long it lasts off the bush.  From everything I've read, they can last
weeks on the ground.  I know they were good in the fridge for at least a week or longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment