Friday, March 23, 2012

Another heirloom tool added to the collection

When it comes to gardening, I am always in search of traditional methods and quality tools. Often, I have to purchase my tools from yard sales, antique stores, or estate sales so that I can find a quality tool that will last for generations.

Other then books, collecting and using old garden/farm tools is my passion.

In my searches I stumbled upon Fisher Blacksmithing in Bozeman, Montana. Tuli Fisher, the owner, is a craftsman from the old school. He has a line of garden tools that he markets as "heirloom quality". Needless to say, my interest was piqued.

I purchased a hand hoe last winter from Fisher because I was in desperate need of a quality hoe. I was blown away by the quality, the look, the feel, and especially the usefulness.

His tools have weight, and make short work of whatever job is required. I soon purchased a square hoe and was equally pleased.

Last week I decided to expand my collection and order a hand trowel. Trowels, to me, are a difficult tool to purchase. None of the store bought, massed produced trowels seem to "cut the mustard". I usually end up discarding the Chinese made garbage and it's back to the drawing board.

I ordered the trowel from Tuli and it was in my hands in 2 days!! The trowel is fantastic. The picture above truly doesn't do the tool justice. It is hand hammered and a thing of beauty. On his website he talks about how each tool is made:

"Each tool is individually built using traditional blacksmithing techniques. Steel is heated to a red glow in the forge and then shaped over the anvil with a hammer. All joinery is done using solid steel rivets. And, while each tool is hot it is burned into the handle creating a long-lasting garden tool with no welds. Black Walnut is used for handles. The tight grain of this strong hardwood makes it very durable. Best of all, it just feels good in your hand."

I'm here to say every word is true. They aren't cheap, however, these tools will last a lifetime and see many years of good service in my garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment