Thursday, March 29, 2012

Book review - Vegetable Gardening the Williamsburg Way


The other day I purchased the book Vegetable Gardening the Colonial Williamsburg Way, and I have to report it is a very fun, useful book. The photography is gorgeous and the information provided is both interesting and helpful.

The book begins with some background information on the gardens at Williamsburg, then dives right in to the material.

The focus of the book is on the vegetables grown during the Colonial period, giving historical info and background, followed by an explanation of the methods used at Williamsburg to grow them. You won't find any information on corn, Asian vegetables, or the like in this book, they simply weren't common or available to the colonies.

One of the fun features is the addition of historical quotes from period journals and diaries about the vegetables. I loved reading about a bet Thomas Jefferson and his neighbor had regarding the growing of peas. Jefferson only the bet once, however, you'll have to read the book to find the whole story.

I love to garden using old fashioned methods and this book does not disappoint in that area. It is going to provide me with a ton of useful ideas.

I recommend this book highly to anyone interested in organic gardening/farming.


1 comment:

  1. I love Williamsburg and Gardening this way! I will have to get this book on my to buy list!

    ReplyDelete