Thursday, July 7, 2011

First harvest.

We were able to freeze both banana peppers and hot, hungarian peppers yesterday.  I love this time of the season when the garden is starting to take-off and we begin to harvest.  Everything looks fantastic except for the broccoli.  The very wet spring caused such a delay in planting that the crop never lived up to it's potential.  We are seeing many of the plants bolting before establishing any real heads.

I was able to get my hands on approx 1/2 acre up the road.  My friend and I plowed and disced the ground that was fallow for many years.  We planted corn and squash and hope for a late, big yield. We intend to plow up more this year and at least plant winter wheat as a cover crop and green manure.  Hopefully, we can really add lots to the pantry with this new acreage.

2 comments:

  1. How exciting. Our garden is a little behind this year, due to late planting and the need to reseed. We are harvesting plenty of greens...my kids love kale so that's been a real treat! We're also enjoying beets, onions and cucumbers. Anxiously anticipating green beans and tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking back in my garden journal, we had already harvested 30lbs of pickles by this point in 2009, plus tons of broccoli. We haven't come close with the pickles and our broccoli was a disappointment.

    ReplyDelete