Sunday, July 31, 2011

Words of Praise and Worship - Remembering Andy

For he says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.” - Romans 9:15

We just arrived home from my father-in-laws funeral. The trip took us to northern Michigan, to lots of tears, and to much joy.  Alger Lynn Langworthy (Andy to most everyone) passed away on Sunday July 24, 2011 just 2 days shy of his 80th birthday.

I wish I could say that I knew Andy well, however, because my wife and I met late in our lives I only was able to talk with him a few times. The times we did talk I found his stories and humor heart-warming, authentic, and grew to love him in my own way.

I also came to know Andy through his remarkable children, my wife being the last born of six girls and two twin boys. They are a truly wonderful lot, hardworking, full of life, ready with a joke, or an offer of help. His legacy also includes many grandchildren and great grandchildren. 

Through choices made or ones forced upon him, Andy's life was a hard road. He forced many of those who loved him away, and chose many things as poor substitutes. It was only during the last few years that his kids came back into his life bringing him joy, peace, and an end to loneliness.

The reason I started this entry with the verse from Romans was that after much prayer, Andy came to know the Lord shortly before he passed. He always thought that he was too bad to be saved, however, Jesus finally made him understand that is the message of the gospel. The Lord had mercy on Alger Lynn Langworthy.
We brought this cherry tree home from Andy's house in tribute and memory of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment